nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Zealand Spy Agency To Vet Network Builds, Provider Staff

From: Zaid Ali Kahn <zaid () zaidali com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 17:24:06 -0500

On May 13, 2014, at 4:52 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net> wrote:

- Warning the world about Chinese surveillance could have been one of
  the motives behind the US government's claims that Chinese devices
  cannot be trusted. But an equally important motive seems to have been
  preventing Chinese devices from supplanting American-made ones, which
  would have limited the NSA's own reach. In other words, Chinese
  routers and servers represent not only economic competition but also
  surveillance competition.

Case in point on Sprint/Softbank merger
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/28/4155714/us-wants-sprint-softbank-deal-to-avoid-chinese-network-equipment/in/3252625

Should we as a community look at Open Hardware when we start to lose trust in vendors and governments? Can we make
boards/ASIC/FPGA commodity enough to scale?

Zaid