nanog mailing list archives

Re: We hit half-million: The Cidr Report

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 21:01:52 -0700

On May 1, 2014, at 4:57 PM, Fred Baker (fred) <fred () cisco com> wrote:

On May 1, 2014, at 4:10 PM, Jean-Francois Mezei <jfmezei_nanog () vaxination ca> wrote:

Pardon my ignorance here. But in a carrier-grade NAT implementation that
serves say 5000 users, when happens when someone from the outside tries
to connect to port 80 of the shared routable IP ?

More to the point, your trust boundary includes 5000 people. Do you know them all? Who maintains their systems and
software? Do you trust them?

What happens if they approach you from behind the NAT?

It’s unlikely that CGN changes this at all… Most CGN deployments will be a second layer of horror on top of the
existing horrors already present.

Owen