nanog mailing list archives

Re: US patent 5473599

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 12:15:10 +0100

On 08/05/2014 12:09, Henning Brauer wrote:
my switches seem to deal with that, wether they have special handling
for that mac addr range or not i dunno.

I've seen this problem cause downtime on production networks.

fyi, it will probably work fine on hubs, but not on switches.

again, stress the fact that afair we have gotten zero reports about
that "issue" for 10 years, it obviously means that either
1) a vast majority of switches deal with it just fine
2) people know that vhids shouldn't clash and avoid that

https://www.google.com/search?q=vrrp+carp+incompatible

Several of the results refer to openbsd mailing list postings.

Nick