nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 blames Internet slowdowns on Technica

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 16:40:53 -0400

On Mar 21, 2014, at 12:22 PM, Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net> wrote:

On Mar 21, 2014, at 11:01 AM, Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net> wrote:
Why wouldn't you instead charge for the build out as a NRC and then =
charge=20
for maintenance as a MRC?

I for one would be willing to bear a high NRC start-up cost for someone =
building fiber to my home.  Not everyone would make that tradeoff.

I was discussing the cost that the service provider had to pay in the
context of a "$4/mo copper pair" for rental of a copper pair that the
ILEC almost certainly did not need to install.  I do not see why the
cost for build out needs to be included in the actual monthly cost an
ILEC needs to charge.

I think that utilities have a long history of proving that the cost
for build out can be successfully charged to the property owner in
several ways as you note.  I don't see it as being an insurmountable
problem to find some way for an intermediate service provider to
deal with this if needed.

Sure, but for POTS this installation NRC was regulated for residential (at least last time I ordered a POTS line for a
home, which was ....)

The cost of the O&M on the switch and OSP is likely less than what I pay them.  The history was they were allowed to
show costs and add on a margin and rate increases would be approved.  I don't want to know what their costs are after
ice storms...

Here in Michigan there was a recent law passed to allow ending of service in areas starting January 2017.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28la3cxz45kfy2bs55wvsiqy55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=2013-SB-0636

- Jared