nanog mailing list archives

Re: US to relinquish control of Internet

From: John Curran <jcurran () arin net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 03:28:36 +0000

On Mar 14, 2014, at 11:13 PM, John R. Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:

"NTIA will not accept a proposal that replaces the NTIA role with a government or an inter-governmental organization
solution."

Let's hope you're right, but I note that the ITU isn't an inter-governmental organization, it's (depending on which
part of their web site you believe) a specialized agency of the United Nations, or an organization based on
public-private partnership since its inception, with a membership of 193 countries and over 700 private-sector
entities and academic institutions.  Sounds totally multistakeholder to me.

Unhelpfully,
John

PS: And the ITU is definitely not a solution.

Excellent point...  given that ITU's (full) Members are governments, I suspect
it would be deemed an inter-governmental organization, but in the end it's the
NTIA's views on this question that will actually matter.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO