nanog mailing list archives

Re: Managing IOS Configuration Snippets

From: Robert Drake <rdrake () direcpath com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 13:13:41 -0500

On 2/28/2014 9:19 PM, Dale W. Carder wrote:
If I'm understanding what you're trying to do, you could script around
our rather unsophisticated 'sgrep' (stanza grep) tool combined with
scripting around rancid & rcs to do what I think you are looking for.

http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~dwcarder/scripts/sgrep

sgrep can dump out a "stanza" of ios-like config, then you can rcsdiff
that to your master, per 'chunk' of config.
Dale

I'm digging the idea of your command. Along the same lines I've got this awk snippet that I made and then forgot about. It functions like the cisco pipe begin/end commands:

#!/bin/sh

if [ "x${2}" = "x" ]; then
    awk "/${1}/{temp=1}; temp==1{print}"
else
    awk "/${1}/{temp=1};/${2}/{temp=0}; temp==1{print}"
fi

Usage:
cat router-confg | begin_regex 'line vty' '!'

If you omit the second argument it just shows you from your match until the end of file.