nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:47:49 -0700

On 6/18/14, 1:09 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

However, I also don't think consumer education is the answer:
http://www.wleecoyote.com/blog/consumeraction.htm Summary: Until it
is perfectly clear why a consumer needs IPv6, and what they need to
do about it, consumer education will only cause fear and
frustration, which will not be helpful. This is a technology
problem, not a feature problem, and consumers shouldn't have to
select which Internet to be on.

Lee

Short of consumer education, how do you expect to resolve the issue
where $CONSUMER walks into $BIG_BOX_CE_STORE and says "I need a
router, what's the cheapest one you have?"

The $39.95 dlink on the endcap at frys and the $140 one with 802.11ac
beam forming atennas and gig-e run the same v6 stack...

Whereupon $TEENAGER_MAKING_MINIMUM_WAGE who likely doesn't know
DOCSIS 2 from DOCSIS 3, has no idea what IP actually is, and thinks
that Data is an android from Star Trek says "Here, this Linksys thing
is only $30."

the software stack isn't the source of price discrimination.

Unless/until we either get the stores to pull the IPv4-only stuff off
their shelves or educate consumers, the continued deployment of
additional incapable equipment will be a continuing problem. As bad
as the situation is for cablemodems and residential gateways, at
least there, an educated consumer can make a good choice. Now,
consider DVRs, BluRay players, Receiver/Amplifiers, Televisions, etc.
where there are, currently, no IPv6 capable choices available to the
best of my knowledge.

this stuff ages out of the network or doesn't require ipv4 for the
entirety of it's useful service life.

turns out for example that smart-tv's generally aren't (smart).

Your appletv does support v6 as do many of those android sticks even if
they're sufficiently inexpensive enough to be disposable.

Owen