nanog mailing list archives

Re: ipmi access

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 12:56:47 -0400

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net> wrote:
We just reported a bug to Dell regarding their last 2 generations of remote
access controllers where the firewall rules only apply to TCP and not to
ICMP or UDP. Their first response was to replace the motherboard. Second
response was that this is just how they work. Not looking good. We run our
IPMI interfaces behind stateless ACLs, accessible from VPN or trusted
ranges.

so... as per usual:
  1) embedded devices suck rocks
  2) no updates or sanity expected anytime soon in same
  3) protect yourself, or suffer the consequences

seems normal.