nanog mailing list archives

Re: Getting pretty close to default IPv4 route maximum for 6500/7600routers.

From: Bryan Tong <contact () nullivex com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 13:27:21 -0600

The IPv6 table will not be as big as the v4 table even after full
acceptance. Given that most providers will be advertising a single /32 and
then rest will be some /48 routes for multi-homed scenarios.

My router looks like this

FIB TCAM maximum routes :
=======================
Current :-
-------
 IPv4                - 600k
 MPLS                - 32k
 IPv6                - 160k
 IP multicast        - 32k

Probably a little heavy on MPLS considering we dont use it. With the
current level of exhaustion I dont think IPv4 will make it past 600k.

We are currently seeing 520,000 routes.

There are currently 107M IPs left globally.

If those all went to /21's that would require 26,255 prefixes.
If those all went to /22's that would require 52,510 prefixes.
If those all went to /24's that would require 105,021 prefixes.

So even the most conservative maximum should be no more than 626K