nanog mailing list archives

Re: L3/HE/Inbound Pathing Question

From: Jay Hennigan <jay () west net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 12:09:39 -0700

On 6/9/14 9:38 AM, Dennis Burgess wrote:
I have ran into this a few times, and have not found a solution:

L3 à

HEà  --- blended Provider A --- > Customer

Cogent -- > Customer

Cogent of course is cheaper, and customer wishes to use the blended provder more as backup and/or have most of the
inbound traffic coming in the cheaper path (cogent).  The issue appears to be L3 and HE specifically (of course they
make up a good chunk of inbound traffic) always prefers their customer peers, so even if we advertise any prefix to
the blended, those companies (l3/he) always choose to come in though the customer peer and then to my customer.

Any thoughts on how to get around this, and still have some kind of route in the blended provider for failover?
Off list is fine.. Thanks in advance.

Advertise a community to the other providers to localpref your prefixes
down to the point of being a backup.

3356:70 should work for Level 3, you will need to talk to HE and/or your
blended provider for what to use (and whether they support it).

--
--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay () impulse net