nanog mailing list archives

Re: Carrier Grade NAT

From: Julien Goodwin <nanog () studio442 com au>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 22:42:13 -0700

On 29/07/14 22:22, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Jul 29, 2014, at 4:13 PM, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:
In message <20140729225352.GO7836 () hezmatt org>, Matt Palmer writes:
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 09:28:53AM +1200, Tony Wicks wrote:
2. IPv6 is nice (dual stack) but the internet without IPv4 is not a viable
thing, perhaps one day, but certainly not today (I really hate clueless
people who shout to the hills that IPv6 is the "solution" for today's
internet access)

Do you have IPv6 deployed and available to your entire customer base, so
that those who want to use it can do so?  To my way of thinking, CGNAT is
probably going to be the number one driver of IPv6 adoption amongst the
broad customer base, *as long as their ISP provides it*.

Add to that over half your traffic will switch to IPv6 as long as
the customer has a IPv6 capable CPE.  That's a lot less logging you
need to do from day 1.

That would be nice, but I’m not 100% convinced that it is true.

Though it will be an increasing percentage over time.

Definitely a good way of reducing the load on your CGN, with the additional benefit
that your network is part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

Being on the content provider side I don't know the actual percentages
in practice, but in the NANOG region you've got Google/Youtube, NetFlix,
Akamai & Facebook all having a significant amount of their services v6
native.

I'd be very surprised if these four together weren't a majority of any
consumer-facing network's traffic in peak times.