nanog mailing list archives

Re: Richard Bennett, NANOG posting, and Integrity

From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 20:07:09 -0400

Now, this is astroturfing.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/180781/leading-civil-rights-group-just-sold-out-net-neutrality

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
wrote:

This is one of the more clueless smears I've seen. The "astroturf"
allegation is hilarious because it shows a lack of understanding of what
the term means: individuals can't be "astroturf" by definition; it takes an
organization.

Groups like Free Press are arguably astroturf because of their funding and
collaboration with commercial interests, but even if you buy the blogger's
claim that AEI is taking orders from Comcast (which it isn't), it doesn't
pretend to be speaking for the grassroots. After 76 years in operation,
people engaged in public policy have a very clear idea of the values that
AEI stands for, and the organization goes to great lengths to firewall
fundraising from scholarship. AEI's management grades itself in part on
being fired by donors, in part; this is actually a goal.

The thing I most like about  AEI is that it doesn't take official
positions and leaves scholars the freedom to make up their own minds and to
disagree with each other. Although we do tend to be skeptical of Internet
regulation, we're certainly not of one mind about what needs to be
regulated and who should do it. AEI is a real think thank, not an advocacy
organization pretending to be a think tank.

The article is riddled with factual errors that I've asked Esquire to
correct, but it has declined, just as it declined to make proper
corrections to the blogger's previous story alleging the FCC had censored
500,000 signatures from a petition in support of Title II. See:
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/comcast-astroturfing-net-
neutrality?fb_comment_id=fbc_734581913271304_735710019825160_
735710019825160#f35206a395cd434

The blogger came to my attention when he was criticized on Twitter by
journalists who support net neutrality for that shoddy piece of
sensationalism; see the dialog around this tweet: https://twitter.com/
oneunderscore__/status/489212137773215744

The net neutrality debate astonishes me because it rehashes arguments I
first heard when writing the IEEE 802.3 1BASE5 standard (the one that
replaced coaxial cable Ethernet with today's scalable hub and spoke system)
in 1984. Even then some people argued that a passive bus was more
"democratic" than an active hub/switch despite its evident drawbacks in
terms of cable cost, reliability, manageability, scalability, and media
independence. Others argued that all networking problems can be resolved by
throwing bandwidth at them and that all QoS is evil, etc. These talking
points really haven't changed.

The demonization of Comcast is especially peculiar because it's the only
ISP in the US still bound by the FCC's 2010 Open Internet order. It agreed
to abide by those regulations even if they were struck down by the courts,
which they were in January. What happens with the current Open Internet
proceeding doesn't have any bearing on Comcast until its merger obligations
expire, and its proposed merger with TWC would extend them to a wider
footprint and reset the clock on their expiration.

Anyhow, the blogger did spell my name right, to there's that.

RB