nanog mailing list archives

Re: [OPINION] Best place in the US for NetAdmins

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 18:20:40 -0700

On 07/26/2014 06:01 PM, William Herrin wrote:
On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
Bill, on your list of not so wonderful things in DC, you left off:
         Weather
                 In the sumer, the DC area is, well, what you’d expect from a hot, humid, fetid swamp.
                 In the winter, you can make ice cream outside without rock salt (though there’s plenty of
                         salt available on the roads).
Meh. The weather is always temperate indoors. You ARE a computer guy, right?

Contrary to Bill’s claims, we have nearly as many data centers
housing lots of interconnect, content providers, etc. out here,
too. We’re also a primary gateway to Asia and the Pacific as
well as Australia.
I wouldn't dream of suggesting that silicon valley lacks for anything
of interest to computer and networking folks. You even have heavy
taxation, heavy regulation and a state government ever on the brink of
financial collapse, all things less prevalent in Northern Virginia.
Though if you really enjoy those things you can always visit DC or the
People's Republic of Maryland.

Don't forget the hipsters with their skinny jeans. And $1M median housing prices. It's awful out here. We're on the brink of collapse and will be joining the ranks of
Mississippi soon, with our main export being deep fried silicon.

Mike