nanog mailing list archives

Re: EFF gets into the CPE router software business..

From: George Herbert <george.herbert () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:06:38 -0700

Any idea how well CeroWRT stands up to nation-state level intrusion efforts?

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone

On 2014-07-24 12:04, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
So the EFF is pushing development of an open CPU router
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/07/building-open-wireless-router
https://openwireless.org/
It's currently targeting WNDR3800's and based on the CeroWRT software
(which works pretty well in my own experience).
What will possibly be interesting in this forum is that it's explicitly
targeting having open guest wireless access (unlike the stuff being pushed
by some ISPs, where you can roam but only to other customers of the same
ISP).
!DSPAM:53d13dc965333732154236!

The Free Network Foundation (which I co founded and am CTO of) has been helping several groups in the USA do this for
~1 year now. EFF is simply rebranding/respinning community networking, but they are pretty new to the USA Free
Networks party overall. They just have a bigger budget/brand recognition (though FreedomTower has become a pretty
resilient brand based on the e-mails we get on a daily basis). Also I'm not sure of the level of support/hand
holding/documentation etc EFF will provide for folks wanting to build a network off this setup (I'm guessing not
much).  Also most incumbent carriers prevent sharing (where FNF supported/assisted/collaborative/affiliated US based
efforts back haul (over high capacity wifi or VPN over incumbent circuits) to wholesale colocation facilities POP and
do things like monitor abuse@ contacts etc. (Ya know, actually responsibly run an ISP).

I'd rather of seen them partner with FNF, (or actually much more preferable would be upstream wrt projects like QMP)
and not spin YET ANOTHER FIRMWARE.

I'm glad they picked CeroWRT though.