nanog mailing list archives

Re: Connectivity issue between Verizon and Amazon EC2 (NTT issue?)

From: Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson () esri com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:40:26 -0700

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 05:29:55PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:54:59PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
Others appear to be having similar issues.  Seems like Verizon is
pointing at AWS:

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=558094

Ray

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 08:56:27PM -0700, Tim Heckman wrote:
Realized I sent the reply to Roland. Apologies.

Here it is in full:

####

I am seeing the same issue between AWS US-WEST 2 and Hurricane
Electric's Fremont 2 location (Linode). Looks to be deep within
Amanzon's network based on changes in latency in a simple trace
route.

I would provide an mtr, however my network configuration is
something mtr doesn't support.

Cheers!  -Tim

Update on this:

- We have a ticket open with both AWS and Verizon.
- AWS has responded and felt the issue was with Verizon, but notified
  their network team and asked them to investigate further.
- Nothing back from Verizon yet (anyone here have a Verizon NOC
  contact?)

In the interim, the issue persists.

Further update -- Verizon indicates that the issue is related to
saturation on a peering link between themselves and NTT.  Verizon is
pointing to the NTT side as the source of the saturation / congestion.

We don't have a direct customer relationship with NTT so am hoping
someone on this list may be able to pass this information along or
investigate on our behalf.

Ray