nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Scott Helms <khelms () zcorum com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:57:01 -0400

Bill,

I'd say your experience is anomalous.  I don't know which township you're
in, but I'd suggest you focus on getting a set of more effective local
officials.

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000
--------------------------------
http://twitter.com/kscotthelms
--------------------------------

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 3:50 PM, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Blake Dunlap <ikiris () gmail com> wrote:
My power is pretty much always on, my water is pretty much always on
and safe, my sewer system works, etc etc...

Mine isn't. I lost power for a three days solid last year, I've
suffered 3 sanitary sewer backflows into my basement the last decade
and you should see the number of violations the EPA has on file about
my drinking water system. Only the gas company has managed to keep the
service on, at least until I had a problem with the way their billing
department mishandled my bill. Didn't get solved until it went to the
lawyers.

And I'm in the burbs a half dozen miles from Washington DC. God help
folks in a truly remote location.

Why is layer 1 internet magically different from every other utility?

It isn't.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?