nanog mailing list archives

Re: Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 22:01:11 -0400

On Jul 14, 2014, at 9:47 PM, Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com> wrote:

Oh, yes; totally agreed.  It's a one-way relationship
in my mind; it's nigh-on impossible to be a competitive
ISP without an ASN; but in no way shape or form does
having an ASN make you an ISP.

I think here is where you are wrong.  There are many people out there that have cobbled together ISPs and have
appliances that will load balance or do failover with multiple DSL or hybrid DSL/Cable/T1 solutions.

I do understand the line you have drawn, but some of these people compete against the largest companies in the world
and win business because of their uptime and support.  I wish they wouldn’t be doing “CGN” or CGN-lite type things but
it happens and they don’t need an ASN to be competitive.  And having an ASN would drive their costs up significantly.
$500 in fees from ARIN represents a large number of subscribers profit.

- Jared