nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cheap LSN/CGN/NAT444 Solution

From: Skeeve Stevens <skeeve+nanog () eintellegonetworks com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 10:03:40 +1000

Roland, what methods are the easiest/cheapest way to deal with this?

...Skeeve

skeeve () eintellegonetworks com ; www.eintellegonetworks.com

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

experts360: https://expert360.com/profile/d54a9

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> wrote:

On Jun 30, 2014, at 4:53 PM, Tony Wicks <tony () wicks co nz> wrote:

From experience (we ran out of IPv4 a long time ago in the APNIC region)
this is not needed,

I've seen huge problems from compromised machines completely killing NATs
from the southbound side.

what is needed however is session timeouts.

This can help, but it isn't a solution to the botted/abusive machine
problem.  They'll just keep right on pumping out packets and establishing
new sessions, 'crowding out' legitimate users and filling up the
state-table, maxing the CPU.  Embryonic connection limits and all that
stuff aren't enough, either.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

                   Equo ne credite, Teucri.

                          -- Laocoön