nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 14:08:32 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Petach" <mpetach () netflight com>

I'm sorry. This is a networking mailing list, not a
feel-good-about-yourself mailing list. From the perspective of the
internet routing table, if you don't have your own AS number, you are
completely indistinguishable from your upstream. Period. As far as BGP
is concerned, you don't exist. Only the upstream ISP exists.

Those things are all true, Matt.  But they are orthogonal to "are you an
ISP" (for any definition of ISP).

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com