nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:34:12 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Petach" <mpetach () netflight com>

He rants about Netflix generating huge amounts of traffic
and refusing to allow ISPs to cache it; and then goes on to
grumble that Netflix is trying to force them to host caching
boxes. Does he love caching, or hate caching? I really
can't tell. Netflix is offering to provide you the cache boxes
*for FREE* so that you can cache the data in your network;
isn't that exactly what he wanted, in his first sentence?
Why is it that two sentences later, free Netflix cache boxes
are suddenly an evil that must be avoided, no matter how
much Netflix may try to force them on you?

I'm sorry. I think someone forgot to take their coherency
meds before writing that paragraph.

If you like caching, you should be happy when someone
offers to give you caching boxes for FREE. If you don't
like caching, you shouldn't bitch about inefficient it is to
have traffic that isn't being cached.

Trying to play both sides of the issue like that in the
same paragraph is just...dizzying.

No; it's the common result of deciding that you know what the end
game ought to be -- which end-game *you want* -- and then trying
to fit the rhetoric underneath that result.

Cognitive dissonance is a *bitch*.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com