nanog mailing list archives

Re: Filter NTP traffic by packet size?

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 17:47:20 +0100

is there any modern utility in chargen?
Who knows, when CGNs become commonplace we'll start to run out of ephemeral ports and we'll have to start using ports < 1024 too. Would be a shame if their use were impeded by old ACLs lying around.

* randy () psg com (Randy Bush) [Fri 28 Feb 2014, 17:23 CET]:
woah! i did not suggest acls. i was assuming that one just disables the 'service'.

Oh, I'm sorry! I honestly thought this thread was about filtering as a way of mitigating abuse.

Yes, of course one should not run the service, especially not UDP.

        -- Niels.