nanog mailing list archives

Re: Managing IOS Configuration Snippets

From: Robert Drake <rdrake () direcpath com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:59:47 -0500

On 2/26/2014 5:37 PM, Robert Drake wrote:

Most people roll their own solution. If you're looking to do that consider using augeas for parsing the configuration files. It can be really useful for documenting changes, and probably to diff parts of the config. You might also consider rabbitmq or another message queue to handle scheduling and deploying the changes. It can retry failed updates. You should work towards all or nothing commits (not all cisco gear supports this, but you can fake it in a couple of ways. Ultimately you want to rollback to a known good configuration if things go wrong)

I should amend that even though I recommend all this I haven't used any of it for networking. I guess those are more shiny ball ideas than actual things I've used. We have perl scripts that wrap an in-house API to access our IPAM which generates initial configuration. The template files are a mix of m4 and Template::Toolkit.

We use basically one-off perl scripts for auditing sections of the configs to find discrepancies. We use rancid to collect configs. We just started using netdot which is nice for topology discovery. TACACS and DHCP logs are parsed and stored in logstash. All of those tools provide the who, what, where and when but not the why. The why would require a bit more custom stuff and forcing people to use a frontend interface instead of directly touching the routers. We aren't ready for that yet.