nanog mailing list archives

Re: spamassassin

From: Daniel Staal <DStaal () usa net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 19:29:43 -0500

I'm going to forward on what's probably a 'final disposition' post on this below. Note the behavior of the BAYES_999 rule is going to change dramatically. (It will be *in addition* to the BAYES_99 rule, instead of replacing it for messages with the appropriate bayes score.)

From: "Kevin A. McGrail" <KMcGrail () PCCC com>

As of about 10:30EST Tonight, I expect that versions 3.3.X will be able
to use sa-update to receive an update that includes BAYES_99 as it used
to exist + BAYES_999 which overlaps with BAYES_99 and adds 0.2 to the
score.

By about 4AM tomorrow, version 3.4.1 will have an update though likely no
one can access that update.

Tomorrow morning by about 10AM, I will update 3.4.0 manually to receive
the 3.4.1 update.

So as of ~1 hour past the times above based on the version in use to
allow for DNS ttl and mirror updates, I would recommend people run
sa-update and remove any manual edits for rules named BAYES_99 or
BAYES_999.  If they have manual scoring for these, they will want to
review those scores for their own installation.  BAYES_99 scores in the
3.75 range and BAYES_999 will score in the 0.25 range.  Anything outside
of those scores should be done understanding your own Bayesian database.

They can confirm they received the correct update if the rule score for
BAYES_999 changes to 0.2, i.e. for a default path 3.4.0 installation:

grep BAYES_999
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.004000/updates_spamassassin_org/50_scores.cf

gives

score BAYES_999 0  0  4.0    3.7

Tomorrow, this should change to 0.2.

regards,