nanog mailing list archives

Re: 7206 VXR NPE-G1 throughput

From: Olivier Benghozi <olivier.benghozi () wifirst fr>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 00:53:08 +0100

Cisco once implemented and released this feature to use the second core of the NPE-G1, most notably to manage the BRAS
& en/decapsulations tasks for LAC/LNS/PTA (PPPoE, L2TP...), effectively offering such 1.6 factor.
It was called MPF, and was released in special 12.3-YM IOS (in 2004/2005 I guess).
The first core was still running "normal" IOS while the second core was running a dedicated microcode (acting as some
sort of data plane).

However several features were not available, and it was quite buggy and unstable (unless you only used the very minimum
features implemented in the MPF microcode: no MSS adjust, no ACL for PPP sessions...).
It was quickly deprecated anyway.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps341/prod_end-of-life_notice0900aecd8067dd9f.html