nanog mailing list archives

Re: 7206 VXR NPE-G1 throughput

From: Remco Bressers <remco () signet nl>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:30:50 +0100

On 02/10/2014 04:17 PM, Vlade Ristevski wrote:
We are looking to double the bandwidth on one of our circuits from 300Mbps to 600Mbps. We currently use a Cisco
7206VXR with an NPE-G1 card. These seem like very popular routers so I'm hoping a few
people on this list have them deployed. If you or a customer have these deployed, how much bandwidth have you seen
them handle? This will be handling dorm traffic at a college so it's mostly download.
The 7206 handles our 300 Mbps circuit just fine, but we are moving it to our 600Mbps circuit. At peak we've seen the
following numbers for that circuit:

  30 second input rate 559982000 bits/sec, 55809 packets/sec
  30 second output rate 55429000 bits/sec, 32598 packets/sec
     267756984712 packets input, 333325152556755 bytes, 0 no buffer

This is the interface that connects to our provider. As you can see its almost all download traffic. Our ASR1002
handles it without a sweat but I'm a little skeptical of whether the 7206 will hold up.

This depends on multiple variables. The 7200 is a single-CPU platform where CPU can go sky-high when using features
like ACL's, QoS, IPv6 and you name it.. Also, changing from IOS 12.4 to 15 increased
our CPU usage with another 10%+. Stick to the bare minimum of features you really need and you will be fine.

Regards,

Remco Bressers
Signet B.V.