nanog mailing list archives

RE: Need trusted NTP Sources

From: Martin Hotze <m.hotze () hotze com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 12:30:49 +0000

I'm trying to help a company I work for to pass an audit, and we've
been told we need trusted NTP sources (RedHat doesn't cut it). Being
located in Nigeria, Africa, I'm not very knowledgeable about trusted
sources therein.

Please can anyone help with sources that wouldn't mind letting us sync
from them?

given that you trust the US-government (well, ...) you might use your own stratum 1 server using a Raspberry Pi with
GPS.

here is a well done how-to:
http://open.konspyre.org/blog/2012/10/18/raspberry-pi-time-server/

I still need some spare time to get it running, all parts are here, but within my office location I have a bad GPS
signal reception, so I have to do it at home.

So build your own stratum 1 server (maybe a second one with DCF77 or whatever you can use for redundancy), off from
these servers build 2 or more stratum 2 timeservers for redistribution to offload your stratum 1 servers.

http://clepsydratime.com/Products/Time-Server-NTS3000 is a cool alternative. They are located in Poland, IIRC. And this
box sells for less than 2,000 euros (this price is 2 years old). And it gives you GPS (USA), Glonass (Russia) and DCF77
(land based).

One of the best Timeservers are sold by meinberg.de

just my 2 euro-cents.

#m