nanog mailing list archives

Re: Followup: Survey results for the ARIN RPA

From: John Curran <jcurran () arin net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 05:14:01 +0000

On Dec 7, 2014, at 9:40 PM, Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

And there in lies my interest in all of this- there is little value in
signing my org's routes if no one is going to validate them.  It's a bit of
an odd position in that I have a very high interest in what the rest of the
community thinks of and how they act with respect to the RPA.  In other
words, your relationship with ARIN is now of concern to me.

Maybe I'm being naively optimistic in thinking that these are solvable
problems.

there is the rest of the world, it is a global internet.  the north
american influence decreases continuously, some because of growth of the
global internet, which is a good thing.  some because of noam making
itself less and less relevant, as you point out.

take a look at

  http://archive.psg.com://rpki-rollout.jpg

kinda tells you what's happening, eh?  lacnic has more roll-out than
arin, and proportionally it is even more impressive; over 20% of lacnic
allocations have roas.  and there is ripe, with the sheer numbers.

One could easily presume the ARIN region RPKI deployment statistics are
lower as a result of the RPA situation (and no doubt that it part of the
issue), but as noted earlier, it's unlikely to be the full story since
we also have a region (APNIC) where RPKI deployment also rather low that
and yet does not have these RPA legal entanglements.

It was suggested earlier that this may be due to a combination of factors
(education, promotion) beyond the RPA legal issues that are now being
worked - so that will also need to be addressed once the RPA is resolved.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN