nanog mailing list archives

RE: Requirements for IPv6 Firewalls

From: Dustin Jurman <dustin () rseng net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:04:56 +0000

Always interesting responding to a NANOG thread.

- the approach is from an end user than service provider. The firewall operator would be more interested in identifying
PPS for attacks / compromised hosts VS QOS but I supposed it could be used for QOS as well.  (Not my intent) So today
we have NAT'd firewalls that overload a particular interface, IMHO since properly implemented V6 should not use NAT I
would want my FW vendor to allow me to see what's going on PPS wise via the dashboard function.  Most V4 firewalls do
this today at an interface level.

- Average packet size for all hosts would allow operator to make a determination and set thresholds for new forms of
attacks and exploits.  (Thinking forward once applications take advantage of V6)

- MTU Negotiated Between Hosts - Since this happens between endpoints in v6 this could be help identify tunnels in the
network / changes in WAN topology..  Not like we haven't seen that before.  While a change in flight should create a
drop.. when the session reestablishes it could resize.

Dustin jurman