nanog mailing list archives

Re: AT&T / Verizon DNS Flush?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:59:50 -0400

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia () gmail com> wrote:
It's not hard to use WHOIS to lookup the registrar of each of the
nameservers for proofpoint.com
(ns1.proofpoint.us,  ns3.proofpoint.us).

Long TTLS are appropriate for a production zone,  but in my
estimation, it is improper for
a registrar to impose or select by default a TTL  longer than  1 hour,
for a newly published or newly changed zone.

The TTL can and should be  reasonably low initially  and
automatically increased gradually over time,
only after  the zone has aged with no record changes and confidence is
increased
that the newly published zone is correct.

There was a study on an unrelated topic a presented at a NANOG or ARIN
meeting a few years back. I don't recall the exact details. The
interesting bit was the analysis they did on DNS caching to see the
impact from varying the TTL. I don't remember the exact numbers, but
short TTLs exhibited only a small increase in query rate over long
ones.

There's really no driving need to set the TTL higher than 1 hour,
ever, under any circumstances.

-Bill

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004