nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo DMARC breakage

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 20:25:55 -0400

Dave Crocker wrote:
On 4/9/2014 3:05 PM, John Levine wrote:
In article <5345831B.4030705 () dcrocker net> you write:
Their implementation is not 'broken'.

I'd say it's pretty badly broken if Yahoo intends for their web mail
to continue to be a general purpose mail system for consumers. If
they want to make it something else, that's certainly their right, but
it would have been nice if they'd given us some advance warning so we
could take the yahoo.com addresses off our lists.

If I point a gun at you, and pull the trigger, but maybe shouldn't have done that, the gun is not broken.

Management decisions that are subject to criticism does not represent erroneous performance by the folks tasked with doing the task mandated.

Everything they are doing is "legal".

Your (possibly entirely valid) assessment that their action is ill-advised or unpleasant does not equal broken.

Well, sort of - given that DMARC is still an Internet draft, not even an experimental standard. Maybe it's doing what the draft says it is - but it's an alpha-level protocol, that breaks a lot of things it touches. If not "broken" it's certainly "not ready for prime time" - and large scale deployment is akin to a DDoS attack - i.e., not "ill-advised" but verging on criminal.

Miles Fidelman