nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yahoo DMARC breakage

From: Dave Crocker <dhc2 () dcrocker net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 12:27:55 -0500

On 4/9/2014 10:13 AM, Royce Williams wrote:
Am I interpreting this correctly -- that Yahoo's implementation of
DMARC is broken, such that anyone using a Yahoo address to participate
in a mailing list is dead in the water?

Their implementation is not 'broken'.

Rather, Yahoo has made a very conscious policy decision. So the "such that" clause of your sentence is correct. That is, the effect really is what you describe. But it's the result of an informed corporate choice rather than software or operations error.

From background exchanges and Yahoo participation in the development of DMARC, I believe they fully understood the technical and operations effects of the decision.

Whether it is the 'right' choice is primarily a political debate, and I'm not commenting on that.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking