nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reverse DNS RFCs and Recommendations

From: Barry Shein <bzs () world std com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 22:01:58 -0400

On October 30, 2013 at 19:07 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu (Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu) wrote:
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:33:38 -0000, Nolan Rollo said:

So in the four examples below, 3 of them preface the IP with an alpha
character. Charter however, starts the rDNS off with a number. I'm not arguing
with anyone but what potential problems could that cause with DNS?

Only if the system involved got on the net before 3com did (as RFC1123
specifically relaxed this requirement back in 1989).

And at that point, Indiana Jones would say "It belongs in a *museum*".

Back when I put Boston University on the net, pre-DNS, an accidentally
included host name with a leading digit submitted for the HOSTS.TXT
file brought down probably over half the net, many many unix systems.

There was a bug in the program which converted from the HOSTS.TXT
format to the unix /etc/hosts format. It went into a loop filling the
root partitions which in those days hung a unix system hard, and many
sites used unix systems as their main or only internet connection, no
fancy on-site routers back then.

Typically sites loaded the new HOSTS.TXT file after (or exactly at)
midnight automatically so not a lot of systems staff around to recover
which made it all the more painful.

So I heard a lot about this "no leading digits in host names rule" the
next day though when everyone calmed down it was agreed that the
conversion program shouldn't have behaved so poorly.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs () TheWorld com           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada