nanog mailing list archives

Re: clear forwarding route

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:42:12 -0400

On 2013-10-18, at 11:40, Manav Bhatia <manavbhatia () gmail com> wrote:

I would like understand the circumstances under which an operator may want
to clear all (or a subset of) the routes programmed in the forwarding table
(FIB).

Because of bugs which have led to the FIB containing data that doesn't match the RIB, and which is causing customer
enragement. They don't call it CEF for nothing.

I believe the command to do this on Cisco is

clear forwarding {ipv4 | ipv6} route {* | prefix} [vrf vrf-name] module
{slot| all}

Cool. Back when I was chasing packets at 6461 the best we could do was

router(config)# interface blah
router(config-if)# shutdown
router(config-if)# no shutdown

I ask this since doing this would result in the router dropping all transit
traffic till the routes get reprogrammed in the FIB.

Seems likely!

Why would somebody ever want to do this?

Screaming customer on the phone.

Joe