nanog mailing list archives

Re: Andros Island Connectivity?

From: Ryan Wilkins <ryan () deadfrog net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 21:29:19 -0400

I was going to mention this but failed to do so.

At the very least, do some testing first to make sure that the latency isn't going to introduce unforeseen issues.
Case in point, the Chicago satellite-based network that I manage is sometimes used for Police / Fire / EMS dispatching.
 The City's Computer Aided Dispatch system ended up crashing during an early test when it was discovered that it
couldn't handle the high latencies encountered on satellite links.  This required the vendor to adjust the code to deal
with these issues.  Granted this is an extreme example, but the point is that the physics of satellite links can do all
sorts of things to applications that one might not expect.

Cheers,
Ryan Wilkins