nanog mailing list archives

Re: What Should an Engineer Address when 'Selling' IPv6 to Executives?

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 13:47:17 -0500

On Mar 05, 2013, at 13:41 , Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com> wrote:

In-line

Isn't every reply? (Well, every reply worth reading.)

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Mukom Akong T. <mukom.tamon () gmail com> wrote:
Dear experts,

I've found myself thinking about what ground an engineer needs to cover in
order to convince the executives to approve and commit to an IPv6
Deployment project.

Why not just have them read their own SEC filings. Nearly every company has something to the effect of this in their
10K:
        The potential exhaustion of the supply of unallocated IPv4 addresses
        and the inability of $COMPANY and other Internet users to successfully
        transition to IPv6 could harm our operations and the functioning of
        the Internet as a whole.

No company would lie to the SEC, would it?

--
TTFN,
patrick

I think such a presentation (15 slides max in 45 minutes) should cover the
following aspects:

a) Set the strategic context: how your organisation derives value from IP
networks and the Internet.

b) Overview of the problem: IPv4 exhaustion

c) Implications of IPv4 Exhaustion to your organization’s business model.

d) Introduction of IPv6 as a solution to IPv4 exhaustion.

e) Understanding the risks involved.

f) How much will deploying IPv6 will cost.

g) Call to action.

I've detailed my thinking into each of these items at <How to ‘Sell’ IPv6
to Executive Management – Guidance for
Engineers<http://techxcellence.net/2013/03/05/v6-business-case-for-engineers/>

My question and this is where I'd appreciate some input:

a) To all you engineers out there who have convinced managers - what else
did you have to address?

One of the most important things i see not being stressed enough is
that IPv6 is frequently free or a low-cost incremental upgrade.

So, when calculating ROI / NPV, the hurdle can be very low such that
the cash in-flow / cost savings is not a huge factor since the
required investment is close to nil.

This is not always the case, some legacy stuff won't work on ipv6
without investment.  But, as a plug to all you folks who work at
companies that use a CDN, please ask your CDN to turn IPv6 on for your
website.  This is top-of-mind for me since i just pushed my www folks
on this issue

Here's some relevant pointers for the CDN folks, in many cases its
just a matter of clicking a button in the management portal:

Akamai http://www.akamai.com/ipv6

Edgecast http://www.edgecast.com/ipv6/

Cloudflare https://www.cloudflare.com/ipv6

Amazon http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2011/05/24/elb-ipv6-zoneapex-securitygroups/

Softlayer http://www.softlayer.com/about/network/ipv6

b) To you who are managers, what else do you need your engineers to address
in order for you to be convinced?

Regards.

As always, all opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent
the views of my employers, past or present.

--

Mukom Akong T.

http://about.me/perfexcellence |  twitter: @perfexcellent
“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran