nanog mailing list archives

Re: Canadian Hosting Providers - how do you handle copyright and trademark complaints

From: Roy <r.engehausen () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 12:01:15 -0700

On 6/6/2013 11:07 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Jun 5, 2013, at 22:30 , Roy <r.engehausen () gmail com> wrote:

On 6/5/2013 4:40 PM, Nick Khamis wrote:
On 6/5/13, Sameer Khosla <skhosla () neutraldata com> wrote:
My personal favorite is the number of notices that we receive as DMCA
takedown notices, citing the specific laws.

I'm not sure US copyright laws even apply to us here in Canada?
What countries have no internet laws?

N.

US laws apply where ever the US says they apply.

How do you figure that?

A government can say anything it wants to

The US power to enforce US law is limited to:

        1.      US Citizens (pretty much wherever they are, unfortunately)
        2.      Things that happen within the borders of the united states
        3.      Transactions involving entities within the borders of the united states or
                citizens of the US.

Beyond that, their power is supposed to be pretty limited.

Limited by who?

A government can pass any law that it wants to and apply it to anyone. It then becomes a question of how it enforces that law and that is limited by its ability to project power. See

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mouse_That_Roared