nanog mailing list archives

Re: PRISM: NSA/FBI Internet data mining project

From: Phil Fagan <philfagan () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 09:30:19 -0600

Good point; apparently the doctorine does protect against the case whereby
any collected data would have been found anway "with a court order."

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:19 AM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

On Jun 21, 2013, at 5:10 PM, Phil Fagan <philfagan () gmail com> wrote:

I would think this is only an issue if they throw out the Fourth in that
when they use that data collected "inadvertantly" to build a case a against
you they use no other data collected under a proper warrant.

That statement ignores a longstanding legal principle known as "fruit of
the poison tree".

 If the purpose was to actually collect data on you, in the event you do
something , they can simply run a query against this data post court
order...then that's crossing the line.

Indeed, they don't even seem to be required to bother with the court order
any more. The standing FISA order seems to pretty much allow them to do all
the required line crossing without any additional court order.

 I personally think there is nothing wrong with monitoring US
communications - big difference between monitoring US communications and
monitoring US persons communications.

It's pretty clear that they are likely monitoring both.

Owen