nanog mailing list archives

how in the hell did that ever work? [was: huawei]

From: William Allen Simpson <william.allen.simpson () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:19:38 -0400

On 6/14/13 2:57 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
On 06/14/2013 11:35 AM, Scott Helms wrote:
In $random_deployment they have no idea what the topology is and odd behavior is *always *noticed over time. The amount
of time it would take to transmit useful information would nearly guarantees someone noticing and the more successful
the exploit was
the more chance for discovery there would be.

As a software developer for many, many years, I can guarantee you
that is categorically wrong. I'd venture to say you probably don't even
notice half. And that's for things that are just bugs or misfeatures.
Something that was purposeful and done by people who know what
they're doing... your odds in Vegas are better IMO.

Mike, who's seen way too many "how in the hell did that ever work?"

Ah, how well I remember the '91 Interop.  One new dialup network
access server worked great everywhere -- except going through 3Com
routers.  Something wrong with 3Com routers?

Ha!  No, after a lot of network packet debugging, it turned out the
NAS was setting IP version to 0.  (A tiny bug in a compile.)

Only 3Com was checking the IP version!  That is, by definition,
only 3Com routers actually worked properly!!!

And we had a lot more router vendors in those days....