nanog mailing list archives

Re: Homegrown SIP load testing platform

From: Joshua Goldbard <j () 2600hz com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 15:34:44 +0000

Hey Jon,

This comes up on the voice ops list pretty regularly. Some folks have mentioned SIPVicious as a method for sip testing,
but I think that's more for pentesting.

The Empirix stuff seems to be the state of the art today. On a previous thread I talked a bit about quality monitoring
and why the stuff in the industry today isn't really giving you the kinds of feedback you're looking for, but load
testing is a different problem.

If you do end up playing with the interrupt timers on the NICs, and you're successful, I'd love to hear what worked.

Some food for thought: we've got a set of tickets open with the TAC because a large router (sorry I don't have the
model number) bricked in a repeatable fashion at 300 calls per second. It shouldn't be true, but sometimes the gateway
device is the limitation, although I don't know if this is applicable in your example.

Anyways, I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I personally see load testing at scale as a big unsolved problem for
operators.

Cheers,
Joshua

Sent from my iPad