nanog mailing list archives

Re: whois.internic.net / whois.crsnic.net IPv6 timeouts

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost () snowman net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:52:35 -0400

* Robert L Mathews (lists () tigertech com) wrote:
These work for me on multiple IPv6 carriers, using both the Mac OS X and
Debian squeeze whois clients:

Interesting..

Perhaps your WHOIS client is choking on the first type of response
without the "="? WHOIS should work fine via telnet to eliminate possible
WHOIS client issues; you can just:

It's Ubuntu 13.04's 5.0.20ubuntu1 client, so it really shouldn't be much
different from the Debian whois you're using.

Also, whois -h 199.7.50.74 networksolutions.com works just fine (and
includes the blurb).

$ telnet 2001:503:5ae2:1060::74 43

... and type "=networksolutions.com" to get the raw response.

Doing this results in it just hanging, similar to with the whois client:

sfrost@tamriel:/home/sfrost> telnet 2001:503:5ae2:1060::74 43
Trying 2001:503:5ae2:1060::74...
Connected to 2001:503:5ae2:1060::74.
Escape character is '^]'.
=networksolutions.com

Whois Server Version 2.0

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

[... hanging here, still ...]

  Anyone from NetSol care?

Network Solutions hasn't been involved with the running of
whois.internic.net and whois.crsnic.net for many years. They're
currently run by VeriSign Global Registry Services.

Ah, yea, good point. :)

there's a Debian bug #683187 which mentions similar issues from
nearly a year ago..).

Right, but other people couldn't duplicate it. I suspect VeriSign uses
rate-limiting; is it possible that your source IP address is just being
rate-limited?

It usually tells you that, actually, and so I doubt that's the case.
Also, attempting from other IPv6 addresses results in the same hang
(even with the telnet approach).

        Thanks!

                Stephen