nanog mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions for the future on your web site: (was cookies, and

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:33:19 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 1/24/13, Andrew Sullivan <asullivan () dyn com> wrote:
Lately, AFAICT, most CAPTCHAs have
been so
successfully attacked by wgetters that they're quite easy
for machines
to break, but difficult for humans to use.  For
example, I can testify
that I now fail about 25% of the reCAPTCHA challenges I
perform,
because the images are so distorted I just can't make them
out (it's
much worse on my mobile, given the combination if its small
screen and
my middle-aged eyes).

So it's now more like airport security: a big hassle for
the
legitimate users but not really much of a barrier for a
real
attacker.  A poor trade-off.

+1000

I routinely fail CAPTCHAs, and am certainly less accurate than a decent machine at the OCR required.  Those of us whose
eyes don't correct to 20/20 would greatly appreciate some other form of "slow down the spammers" than this.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com