nanog mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions for the future on your web site: (was cookies, and before that Re: Dreamhost hijacking my prefix...)

From: Matt Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:45:31 +1100

From: Matt Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
[Cookies on stat.ripe.net]

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 11:36:25AM -0800, Shrdlu wrote:
The cookie stays around for a YEAR (if I let it), and has the
following stuff:

CSRF protection is one of the few valid uses of a cookie.
<snip>
By the way, if anyone *does* know of a good and reliable way to prevent CSRF
without the need for any cookies or persistent server-side session state,
I'd love to know how.  Ten minutes with Google hasn't provided any useful
information.

But, if I understand correctly, it only only if you are authenticated can
anything bad be made to happen:

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Cross-Site_Request_Forgery_%28CSRF%29

[...]

So, if someone is just looking around, why is the cookie needed?

Primarily abuse prevention.  If I can get a few thousand people to do
something resource-heavy (or otherwise abusive, such as send an e-mail
somewhere) within a short period of time, I can conscript a whole army of
unwitting accomplices into my dastardly plan.  It isn't hard to drop exploit
code on a few hundred pre-scouted vulnerable sites for drive-by
conscription.

- Matt