nanog mailing list archives

Re: OOB core router connectivity wish list

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:04:05 -0500

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 9:44 AM,  <sthaug () nethelp no> wrote:
I don't think you can get ethernet and transport out-of-the-area in
some places at a reasonable cost, so having serial-console I think is
still a requirement.

TDM is disappearing quickly in at least some parts of the world. We
may not be quite there yet, but I think it's entirely reasonable to
start asking for Ethernet console in procurement documents.

don't disagree... I was saying that the cost of higher speed transport
in some regions is 'very high', as compared to dialup, and that the
networking in question here is purely overhead costs, so keeping the
cost down is important.