nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10 Mbit/s problem in your network

From: Warren Bailey <wbailey () satelliteintelligencegroup com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:47:55 +0000

If you want to see something pretty amazing, check this out..

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-06/twisting-signals-vortex-researchers-beam-25-terabits-data-second

These guys got close to 100 bits/hz using Orbital Angular Momentum in addition to the normal Spin Angular Momentum.
There is a picture out there of the I/Q showing the constellation, which to me looks like the future of communications
systems. In my world, if you could offer 5 bits/hz or higher you would very likely be able to retire on your own
island. Space segment for satellite systems can cost as much as 175k for 36MHz, so giving someone a 20x bandwidth
increase would be an absolute game changer. Don't be surprised if you see the 802.11 guys trying to figure out how to
make OAM work, it would essentially solve the worlds bandwidth problems at nearly all frequencies.