nanog mailing list archives

Re: looking for terminology recommendations concerning non-rooted FQDNs

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:21:02 -0500

In short, "yes, Jay, I do".  Got it.  :-)

You saw Joe's second reply?

Brian Reichert <reichert () numachi com> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 12:41:33PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
My snap reaction is to say that nothing should ever be *trying* to
compare a rooted F.Q.D.N. against a certificate; it is, as has been
noted, merely command line/entry field shorthand to tell the local
resolver where to quit; applications should all be stripping that
trailing dot.

Do you have evidence that the extra AltName with the trailing dot
is operationally necessary?

'Necessary' is what's hard to ascertain here.

If, under a UNIX-like operating system, you request a PTR with some
command-line tool such as 'dig', you'll get a rooted domain name:

 $ dig -x 8.8.8.8 +short
 google-public-dns-a.google.com.

And you can use this rooted domain name get an A record:

 $ dig a google-public-dns-a.google.com. +short
 8.8.8.8

As a matter of example, if you had automation that was internally
testing your network for trusted certificates, and generated a set
of hostnames based on reverse DNS, then your SSL client will now
be using rooted domain names.

When I did my initial development with OpenSSL, I observed:

- If I did not have the rooted domain name in the SAN, then any SSL
 client stack would fail the verification if a rooted domain name
 was used to connect to the SSL server.

- I could generate a CSR with both formats of hostnames.

- My OpenSSL-based CA (and our internal MS-based CA) would sign
 said certificate request, preserving all of the hostnames in the SAN.

- and now using a roted domain name was successful.

And I figured, if both OpenSSL and Microsoft's Certificate Services,
(and their respective SSL clients) behaved the same way, I just
coded my automated generation of the CSR to include the rooted
domain names, just to cover my bases.

I did not expect that misc commercial entities would punish people
under these circumstances...

Now, I expect in this specific customer's case, I'm reasonably
certain that they won't have a tool chain / work flow / whatever,
that would introduce a rooted domain name.

But, I don't know if I can guarantee that for all of our current
and future clients.  I don't know if the practices suggested by RFC
1535 will come into effect, but I wanted to future-proof our product
in this regard...

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink
jra () baylink com

--
Brian Reichert                         <reichert () numachi com>
BSD admin/developer at large