nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 11:01:27 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benny Amorsen" <benny+usenet () amorsen dk>

I'm not *trying* to do the last thing.

I'm trying to do the next thing. Or maybe the one after that.

The existing copper network was in many cases built like a star with
some very long runs. This worked fine for telephony, but not so well
with ADSL. The result is that providers move their active equipment
closer to the subscriber.

Well, it worked poorly with ADSL *because* it actually worked poorly
with voice, and they had to put load coils in to fix it.

Is there a risk that up-and-coming technologies will depend on shorter
fiber runs? Will the fiber be built in such a way that it joins up in
places where it is possible to later add active equipment if that
becomes desirable?

I think that risk low enough to take it, especially since my entire
city fits in about a 3mi radius.  :-)

No, I expect ranges to get *longer* per constant dollar spent, actually.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com