nanog mailing list archives

Re: Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:46:28 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Bulk (iname.com)" <frnkblk () iname com>

What's missing in this dialogue is the video component of an offering.
Many customers like a triple (or quad) play because the price points
are reasonable comparable to getting unbundled pricing from more than
one provider, and they have just throat to choke and bill to pay.

But few IP TV providers will claim good profitability. And I don't
believe any vendor has ActiveE and RFoG going down one strand.

Not an issue I'd missed.  The suggestion of, I believe it was Owen, to run
GPON over the home-run fiber, with the splitters at the headend, solves that
problem rather nicely, though; the L3+ provider can do whatever they like;
if they need GPON to deliver, they (or we) can provision the splitters, and
patch through them, back to whatever OLT eqiuvalent they deliver from.

In fact, I need to find out the pricing class of the GPON splitters;
given what I gather the port count difference is between the line cards
on, say, the Calix E7, I might do my own L2 service that way, since the
Calix ONTs will take either.

I'm working up a what, how and why writeup on this, given my personal
set of tradeoffs; I hope to get it up by morning, so no one feels left
out on the last Whacky Weekend before the conference (which, dammital,
I can't attend, even though it's in Florida for the first time in a
decade...).

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com