nanog mailing list archives

Re: Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

From: Scott Helms <khelms () zcorum com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 17:04:54 -0500

How is that different from what the aggregators that I've already pointed
out are doing?  Why does anyone need to resell anything, anyway, what we
are talking about are service providers connected to this muni fiber
network being able to deliver triple play to their subs.

Its not, that was kind of the point.  What you're pointing out is NOT what
I was saying is problematic.  I work with companies that get there content
from the coop or another aggregator every single day.

This is fine and common as dirt:

Video_content(from an aggregato or direct)--->Muni_operator-->End_user

What I think Jay and some others were suggesting is:

Video_content--->Muni_operator--->End_user AND/OR --->L1/L2
partner--->End_user

That last bit where the content is being delivered to the customer of
another operator that doesn't have a contract with either the content owner
or an aggregator isn't (IMO) possible today.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology