nanog mailing list archives

Re: ddos attacks

From: "Scott Weeks" <surfer () mauigateway com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:02:54 -0800

--- cb.list6 () gmail com wrote:
On Dec 19, 2013 4:25 PM, "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net> wrote:
On Dec 19, 2013, at 6:12 AM, cb.list6 <cb.list6 () gmail com> wrote:

I am strongly considering having my upstreams to simply
rate limit ipv4 UDP.

QoS is a very poor mechanism for remediating DDoS attacks.
It ensures that programmatically-generated attack traffic
will 'squeeze out' legitimate traffic.

I agree. But ... i am pretty sure i am going to do it. Trade offs.

If you don't mind, after your first legit attack reply back to
this thread with the details, so others can learn from it when
they're looking through the archives.

scott