nanog mailing list archives

Re: Parsing Syslog and Acting on it, using other input too

From: Charles N Wyble <charles-lists () knownelement com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 12:14:40 -0500

Yes. Logstash shipper on your syslog proxy, forward to elasticsearch. Graylog2 is very cool. Tried kibana and didn't
care for it.

Actually setting up graylog2 right now to do AD authentication.

So workflow is

End device -> syslog-ng vm -> graylog2/elasticsearch vm and other destinations (it corp security cloud for stuff they
want to track, observium for anything matching my network gear hostname pattern, etc).

I have the middle syslog-ng box so I can have great control over where certain hosts ultimately send data. However that
system can be used in any template, if I don't filter it just gets dumped to graylog.

Kevin Stone <kstone () inetlabs net> wrote:
Look at Logstash, http://logstash.net.

Rsyslog can do a bit, on Windows you could look at the Solarwinds Kiwi
syslog server.

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Jason Biel <jason () biel-tech com>